Saturday, June 2, 2012

Photo a Day and Home made Pasties

In the June Photo a Day challenge the word is 'Empty'.

It was quite simple for me to think of a photo for that subject as I unpacked an electrical item yesterday which of course left an 'empty' box.


The electrical item was this

As I have never had a coffee machine before I didn't want to get an expensive one and then find that I didn't use it. So I read a lot of reviews on line for different types of machines and the Sunbeam Piccolo Espresso had lots of good feedback, so it got delivered yesterday.

It is quite easy to use and clean but will take a bit of practice to get it tasting just right. I purchased a tin of the Amanti brand of ground coffee which our Bakery uses. So as you can imagine there is a bit of coffee drinking (and throwing out!!) happening at the moment.

Home made Pasties
During winter I usually make quite a few batches of pasty slice that I put away in the freezer. Growing up in my family Mum would regularly make 'soup and pasties' during winter on Saturdays. It was lovely nutritious food that was enjoyed on a Saturday night after our various sports that was played during the day. We would quite often eat tea in front of the TV, watching footy on a Saturday night which was a treat as meals were usually eaten at the table.

 Above: In a big container I mix up about a kilo of premium mince, approx 3 each of shredded carrots and potatos, a couple of cups of shredded pumpkin and 1 onion and then add a good dash of worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce along with 2 eggs so that it mixes to a nice moist consistency.

Above: I use a packet of Puff pastry and spread the mix out as above onto one sheet, the roll over. Once rolled, pinch the ends together to seal it, then repeat with the other sheets.

Above: Place the slices onto baking trays and brush with a little milk.
Pop into a moderate over until golden brown.
Above: I sometimes sprinkle them with toasted sesame seeds.

Well, in keeping my family tradition alive, I've made soup today and might just pull out a couple of pasty slices as the footy will be on over tea time tonight!
I have also made a banana cake, so tea will be followed by that and no doubt a coffee!

Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

Tomorrow's photo subject is 'On your plate'...see you then.






4 comments:

Joolz said... Reply to comment

Ooh, you've got me inspired to make some pasties soon. I might make a batch and freeze them to take to the girls. They love being able to pull sausage rolls or the like out of the freezer for a lazy dinner or midnight after pub snack!

I am making Pea and Ham Soup tomorrow so that's for lunch with home made bread.

We were the same growing up - tea by the TV didn't happen often so it was a treat. My 82 year old Mum still makes the nicest veggie soup, in my opinion - might have to get her to make me a pot!

Cheers - Joolz

Pip said... Reply to comment

I hope you can sleep tonight after all the coffee you've been making (and drinking hopefully) Your pastie slice looks like a great idea, much easier than making a lot of smaller size ones. It's definitely soup weather now, I think everyone is making soup.

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

thankyou Annette for sharing this recipe,i will definately be trying your pastie recipe.xx

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said... Reply to comment

Dearest Annette,

You are a dear for keeping your family traditions alive and serving a nutritious meal at the same time.
Love to you and enjoy your Sunday!
Mariette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...